Sunday, January 06, 2008

My little Andrew turned 3 today and it was testimony meeting at church. Time ran out before I was able to get up, so I thought I would write down my thoughts!
It is hard for me to believe it has been three years since I became a mom. I never imagined just how much it would change my life. I never was big on the idea of staying home to raise a family; I felt like I would need something more to feel like I was achieving success and making something of myself. It wasn't that I didn't like kids or babies; my first niece, Laura was a joy, and visiting Jessica in the hospital with her first baby I surprised myself be getting all choked up. But it wasn't until I saw Andrew for the first time that I knew my life would forever be different. It is difficult to describe, but the first time they placed him on my stomach all gross and crying I felt so amazed and overcome by the responsibility that was being placed before me.
I still am surprised by the love I feel for Drew and Ella. As I've thought about how I have changed since Andrew was born, I am so grateful (aside from pregnancy leftover love-handles, etc.) Being a mother has given me an opportunity to practice selflessness and charity on a daily basis...not that I always capitalize on these opportunities. I know I still have a lot to learn; my kids are still so young and I'm a slow learner. But I think there is no one sweeter to serve and love than little kids. They are my greatest blessings and joys!
It is so strange to me now, that I no longer feel the need to "make something of myself" or aspire to recognition outside my home. I know there is a time and season for everything and perhaps that desire may come again later. But I know the time I have with my kids will go quickly and we still have so much to learn together.
I was telling Jeff that it is so comforting to know that the things I value the most are sealed to me for eternity dependent solely upon how I live my life; something I have absolute control over. I am so thankful for families and for our Heavenly Father's plan for us here.
Love you all!

1 comment:

Sally said...

What a sweet blog entry! I totally agree, there is no way to fully describe the feelings and change that a baby brings. And they DO grow up way too fast! There is nothing better than being a mom, it really is Divine.