Sunday, August 20, 2006

It's been another fun week...

We started off the week with a trip to zoo in the evening for a concert and to see the animals. The concert was some local artists and pretty low-key. Outdoor concerts are always fun and we decided the evening is the perfect time to visit the zoo; it wasn't crowded, the animals seemed more active, and the weather was just perfect! Since there wasn't a crowd we took Andrew to the little play area...I'm attaching a picture of him going down the slide...it was quite the adventure!

This last picture is of an exhibit that was a little startling but very intriguing....(okay, Daniel had to get something that fell down the window well)

Wednesday was a fun day because Reed arrived after a long road trip from DC. Andrew warmed up to Reed when he discovered his soccer skills.

Thursday was a fun packed day. In the afternoon Alison and I went to lunch with Julie and Steve from the Commission. Julie is the only one still working there, so it was interesting to visit and hear what everyone was up to. Julie and Steve are both people I really admire and feel really fortunate to have worked with. I was really lucky to get to work at the Commission and feel like I had a lot of neat opportunities. It feels like I haven't worked there for a lot longer than it has actually been. Although I miss all the people; I don't miss the office/career life. It is a lot of fun to be a mom and enjoy/struggle with Drew. This is a fun time in my life.

Speaking of fun, after Jeff got home from work we visited the Davis County Fair with the Stevens clan for the All You Can Eat Meadow Gold Ice Cream Tent. It wasn't the best idea for all the weight-watchers of the group...but it's only once a year! (Jeff is making a half-hearted attempted at doing weight-watchers, and I'm just trying to not eat as much junk food....I didn't do very well at the fair) After ice-cream the kids road the flying saucers that went up and down. Drew seemed a little nervous but also thought it was pretty neat he was up so high. He is a big fan of the carousel, so he loved that. They also road some fish ride; a bumpy circular ride that goes pretty fast. Drew was a little more vocal about being concerned but excited....a little bit like going on a big roller coaster for the first time. Little Beth did not like the ride at all...poor thing. After a little cotton candy and a balloon everyone was happy again. On our way out we stopped by the petting zoo where Andrew fed a little goat. We had to be careful because it wasn't very good about not biting fingers! What can you expect though, it's a goat! Drew had fun watching and laughing excitedly about the animals.


We had so much fun at the fair that Andrew and I went back the next day with Mom and Daniel. We went in the afternoon and got there just in time for the baby show...a huge waste of energy. It sounded like the kids stand on the stage with everyone for a minute and the judges decide. Instead, I walk with Andrew to the judges where he is on stage by himself. I try to get him to smile and say how old he is and instead he kind of glares at them and puts his figure up his nose...he does that now when he gets nervous around people, I guess it is a comfort position for him :) (Notice the picture of him with Reed above.) I don't think the judges thought it was very cute though! We then had to stay on stage until all the other little kids walked across the stage. So I was wrestling Drew and trying to find a way to climb off the stage since we'd both had about enough. Drew wasn't a winner out of the seemingly hundreds of kids that were there...who knew the competition was going to be so steep :) And it was all for a lousy ribbon...something I am never going to do again...but it was pretty funny though... He was a lot happier once I let him run around and play in the kid areas. The fair had a lot of areas that catered to kids including free pony rides. Daniel and Mom took Drew to visit the hen house and rabbit while I waited in line. He liked the pony, but was ready to get off when the ride was over; they didn't go up and down as much as the carousel :)

Saturday morning, we met up again with the Stevens in Mueller Park for a breakfast of pancakes, hashbrowns, eggs, bacon, and sausage prepared by Paul and Karen. It was a yummy way to start the day. The kids absolutely loved being in the mountains and Drew was just running all over the place. We went on a little hike/walk and enjoyed the fresh air. A little later in the afternoon Jeff and Reed played an outdoor soccer game. Drew and I tagged along and fortunately my parents came also, otherwise I don't know if I would have made it through the entire game. They had 45 minute halfs which made for a very long game especially since Andrew wanted to run around and there wasn't any shade. It sometimes makes me nervous watching Jeff play, especially this game. He can sometime be a little aggressive, especially when he doesn't agree with a call and when the other players are a little hot-headed. We all walked away sweaty and tired...but with all our limbs attached :)

And as if we didn't get enough soccer or excitement for one day, that night we went to the ReAL game. And we finally got to meet Staci (Reed's "friend").
It was a great game. ReAL won 3 -1! We went to Hire's after for a treat with a group of friends; poor Drew was absolutely exhausted...he finally slept soundly through the night...if that is what it takes to get him to sleep well though, it' NOT worth doing that everyday!

PS Sorry I didn't write about anything last week...the main thing I want to share is that I taught the lesson in RS about marriage and eternal families and I was thinking about my family and all my friends that seem like family and how lucky I am. You are great people and examples to me. I feel like even though some are far away all of you are all close to my heart and I think about you a lot....LOVE YOU!

No comments: